Palak Paneer – Aahh!!… The moment I hear the name of this dish, an electricity passes through my body… I feel nostalgic and I feel lost… both at the same time. Reason being my Mom, who used to make the best Palak Paneer of the World… I miss it.. I miss that flavorful taste which had been one of my favorites since childhood… Out of all the traditional paneer dishes… I personally liked the way my mother used to cook this iron rich dish in stark green color.. 🙂 Honestly, I don’t want to go deep down into those beautiful 19 years of my life as it is really really painful … even after 9 long years! **Sigh**
Today I am presenting, my version of Palak Paneer and I dedicate it to my angel mother whom I love most and who is my inspiration to do the best in life forever!
Normally people cook it just like any other gravy dish, but at my household, this is one dish which always get special attention and a completely different cooking approach rules it… Bowl of velvety grinded spinach, spicy hot onion masala, golden fried paneer cubes, home made tangy tomato sauce and lots of cheese… This is all you need to prepare this delicious recipe! 🙂
This Baked Palak Paneer recipe is inspired by Late. Smt Tarla Dalal who ruled the kitchens of our houses in the era of 80s and 90s. Her simple yet brilliant recipes were not only followed by our Moms but also our grannys and all.. 🙂 Let’s have a look on the same –
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
For the Spinach Gravy
- 1/2 kg clean and chopped Spinach
- 2 onions
- 6 garlic pods
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 2 green chilliesGround Spice mix –
- 4 tsp Coriander seeds
- 4-5 black pepper
- 4-5 cloves
- 2 black cardamom
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp kashmiri mirch
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt as per taste
For the Tomato sauce aka Tomato gravy
- 4 tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Salt as per taste
- 3 tsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp ButterOther items:
- 150 gms paneer cubes
- Butter for frying
- 2 tbsp Mozzarella Cheese for garnishing
- Soak all the ingredients of ground spice mix in water and let it rest for 20-25 mins.
- Clean and wash the spinach leaves and dip ( blanch) them in hot water for 10 mins. Drain the water and immediately pour cold water over the leaves. This will help in retaining the dark green color of Spinach. Grind it finely and keep it in the fridge.
For the spinach gravy
- Now grind onions, garlic, chillies, ginger and ground spice mix together on high speed. Let the grinder run for some extra time to ensure smooth onion and spice paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the paste well. Add rest of the spices and fry till the oil separates.
- Put the spinach mixture into it and mix well. Stir on high for almost 2 mins and close the gas.
- Spinach gravy is ready!
For the tomato gravy
- Let tomatoes boil in water for 10 mins. Once done, peel of the skin and make puree.
- Heat butter in a pan and add tomato puree.
- Add salt, pepper and ketchup. Adjust the flavors.
- Let it fry for almost 5 mins.
- Tomato gravy is ready!
For the paneer cubes
- Cut into cubes and fry well in butter.
- Mix into spinach gravy and keep it aside.
Assemble the dish
- Now, take a deep dish. Pour your spinach gravy into it.
- Pour tomato gravy upon it.
- Spread grated mozzarella all over it.
- Bake for 7-8 mins at 150 degree celsius.Baked Spinach paneer is ready. Serve it with Hot butter tandoori rotis! 🙂
Guys, do share your feedback on the recipe here in comments.
For more fun filled discussions about cuisines and food all over let’s connect on my Facebook group – https://www.facebook.com/groups/FromTheDiariesOfGreatCooks/