Breads…the most integral part of our daily lives. We swear by it and love to have it along with tea or coffee… Initially in 90s there was only 2 types of breads available in the market – White bread and Buns. I remember my mum used to prepare tea and bread butter jam for us for the evening snacks. We loved to savor them while celebrating our family time…
Time flew and with the advent of internet and cooking shows, we started getting more and more information about various other kind of breads available in the global markets. With time we got more and more aware about this beautiful dish and now in the millennium year, the level has grown up insanely… Beautiful colors, Beautiful designs, Beautiful stuffing and the best part is the next level of creativity.
I love baking…It’s a therapy for me…and when someone deliberately ask me to bake…I get on the cloud 9. 🙂 I got an amazing challenge this month from my co-blogger Priya Mahesh. She gave me 2 ingredients – Beetroot and Basil which are unique in their own way.. Having strong flavors and fragrance, it was really challenging to come up with an innovative stuff… But yes.. Finally I got it! 🙂 Out of my hundreds of bread bakes, hereby presenting the most unique and delicious of all. Presenting my Beetroot & Basil pesto Whole Wheat Bread…Let’s have a look on the recipe!
Preparation time: 20 mins + 2 hours dough raising time
Baking time: 30 mins @ 150 degrees
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 cups Wheat Flour
- Salt – According to taste
- 1/2 cup warm Milk
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
For Beetroot Tomato Sauce Filling
- 1 pack tomato puree
- 6 tbsp beetroot puree
- Finely chopped 1 onion
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Salt according to taste
For Basil Pesto
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp garlic chopped
- 5-6 walnuts
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
Mozarella Cheese – 1 cup
Butter garlic mixture – 4 tbsp
Dissolve sugar in the warm water and add yeast. Mix lightly and let it prove for 20 mins.Sieve the flours + salt together. Add 1 tbsp olive oil.Knead it well using yeast water. Add more water if required. Once kneaded, brush it with olive oil and let it rest for 1-1.5 hr. Dough will be doubled in it’s size.
Beetroot Tomato Sauce
Heat butter and add ginger–garlic. Let it microwave on high for 1 min. Add tomato puree and beetroot puree. Let it simmer on MW for 2 min. Add tomato ketchup and spices. Mix well and let it simmer for another 2 mins. Add crushed thyme if you want. Beetroot sauce is ready!
Basil Pesto Sauce
Mix all the ingredients of basil pesto together and blend well. Basil Pesto Sauce ready.
Now for shaping & assembling the bread
- Make 4 equal sized dough balls and roll them in a perfect round shape. Use a plate to craft out same size shape from all the four balls
- Now take one rolled out dough and spread Beetroot Tomato Sauce all over
- Cover it with another rolled out dough and spread Basil pesto all around
- Cover this second layer with the third rolled out dough and sprinkle Mozarella Cheese over it
- Cover all this with the fourth rolled out dough and press so that all 4 layers are sealed together lightly
- Place a bowl on the center of the stuffed dough to save the center part
- Now take a pizza cutter or a knife, and make 6 cuts
- Now divide every cut into 2 parts with another cut
- Hence, total 12 cuts will be there on the dough
- Be very careful while dealing with the dough as it will be super soft and might break easily
- Now, hold 1 cut lightly and twist it twice and simultaneously twist the adjacent one and seal the edges. Repeat it for every cut and your starry bread shape will be ready
- Spread butter garlic mixture all over and bake at 150 degrees for 30 mins or till golden brown
- Serve hot with a cup of tea or coffee
Sending the recipe for following event –
For amazing discussions around the cuisines of the World, join my Facebook Food group – From the diaries of great cooks!
Let’s also get connected on Instagram – @KrispyKadhai 🙂
Check out the recipe of my co-blogger and partner Priya Mahesh at https://at200deg.com/
Disclaimer: All the photographs belong to Krispy Kadhai and any illegal usage will not be tolerated!