Berries…One of the most loved fruits… Available in wide variety and beautiful colors, these berries act not only as a perfect sweet sour ingredient but also a beautiful treat for the eyes. Mainly a summer delight they come and go in a blink of eye.. Hardly they stay for 2 months and till the time we realize, they are gone.
Since the beginning, I always cherished this fruit. Initially when I was at Allahabad for good ol 18 years, I never ever found this fruit. Just was aware of it through TV shows. Infact I remember back then even finding strawberries and cherries was also impossible. I had my first strawberry in Lucknow in year 2007. 🙂 Then when I came to Delhi and thanks to the presence of supermarts here, I got a chance to lay my hands on different kinds of berries freshly packed however still Blueberry was very rare back then. But yes, with growing awareness of Recipe books and authors, I got an hold of the different ways in which this ingredient can be used… and finally one fine day, I found this beautiful dark blue berries placed in one of the hypermart at Gurgaon. My heart jumped up with the joy and I just took it and paid. It was quite expensive but the feeling of having it in my hand was at another level. 🙂
You know, in hundreds other thing in my wishlist – 1 beautiful activity is also there – I want to go to the freshest fruits and vegetable markets of Europe during the season of Blueberries and purchase a big bag full of these little blue delights for further using it in my desserts… 🙂 Hehehe.. Yeah!
This time I used fresh Blueberry compote first time in my dessert and we all loved it. Presenting my delicious Blueberry Custard Pie prepared with Flaky Crust, Vanilla custard mousse and Blueberry Compote.
Preparation time: 1 hr
Serving time: 10 mins
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- ¾th Cup Butter
- ¼th Cup Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Cold Water
For Blueberry Custard Filling
- 4 tbsp Home made Vanilla Custard
- 1 cup Freshly whipped Cream
- 4 tbsp Home made Blueberry Compote
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Mint leaves for garnishing
First let’s knead the pie dough and let it rest. Till the time it will be ready to use, we will be done with all our preparations.
- For Crust: Take all purpose flour in a bowl and add sugar. Mix well. Now add diced butter and mix it well using your fingers. Don’t use any spoon or ladle to mix. Do it with fingers as it will make sure that every bit of flour has a buttery flavor to it. After 5-1o mins, you will start noticing crumbled texture of the flour. Dip your fingers in cold water and keep mixing it lightly. Once the dough is kneaded, it will be rough crumbled dough, cover it in a cling film and let it rest in fridge for 30 mins.
- Take it out post 30 mins and Roll it out. Arrange it on the tart tin. Make sure you press the corners with thumb to make it stick in perfect shape. On the base, make impressions with fork. This will make sure that the dough will not rise during baking. Now, spread kidney beans or chana over the top and bake well till 12 mins at 150 degrees.
- Once you will see light golden color of the base, tarts are ready. Do not un-mould them till they are cool.
For the Home Made Blueberry Compote
Mix all of these ingredients together and let it simmer for 10 mins. 🙂
For the Filling
- Make Vanilla Custard using Custard powder. Cool it.
- Whipped the fresh cream till it shows mousse effect
- Mix lightly the two
- Un mould the pastry crusts
- Arrange a layer of Blueberry Compote
- Arrange layer of Custard Cream Mousse
- Sprinkle the Blueberry Compote on the top
- Garnish it with Mint leaves
- Chill for 20 mins and serve
Connect on my Facebook Food group for more discussions – From The Diaries of Great Cooks!
Let’s also get connected on Instagram – @KrispyKadhai 🙂