When we talk about Italian cuisine, all I can think of is thin crust pizzas, a wide variety of Pastas, Delicious home made sauces, Garlic breads and of course the tales of Nonnas.
‘Nonna’ is the term for Italian grand moms who are just like other grand mums – Simple and sweet while holding the traditions of their family close to their heart. Whether it’s the canning of tomatoes, making of authentic sauces or preparing the finest home made pastas, these Nonnas are self sufficient in their own way… They pour their love in food while cooking it..The one thing that would put a big smile on her face is her love ones enjoying her cooking!
These Nonnas have all the knowledge of secret recipes and you can see their true essence while they cook… from putting simplest of the black pepper to stirring the fresh sauce…they have their own way of handling them… If you want to learn about the true Italian cuisine, do search deep into the journals of Italian cuisine where Nonnas are mentioned…You will learn all the secrets. 🙂
This time our 95th Foodie Monday Bloghop theme was #OnePotMeal and I being an avid lover of Italian flavors decided to come up with this delicious one pot meal of Chifferi Rigati in Marinara* sauce.
Served with garlic bread discs and potato wedges, this one pot meal is quick to prepare and flavorful enough to let people lick their spoons till last drop.
Let’s have a look at the recipe.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- 2 cups Chiffari Rigati
- 4 Tomatoes – Diced
- 1 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Basil Pesto
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 2 tbsp Ricotta Cheese
- 2 tbsp Garlic
- 1 tbsp sliced olives
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- Boil Chifferi Rigati in water and some olive oil
- When al dente, drain the water out of the pan
- Now, in the same pan, at the centre – add the olive oil and half of the garlic
[ Arrange the pasta on the corners of the pan itself for a minute]
- Once the garlic begins to turn lightly golden, add half of the tomatoes, saute with pasta and let them simmer
- Over the pasta, arrange rest of the tomatoes
- Add sugar, salt and pepper as desired
- Once it is simmered, add ketchup, set the flame to medium/low and add the basil pesto
- Cook it for 10 minutes and you are done
- Now add olives, remaining garlic
- Put Ricotta cheese and mix well
- Your perfect bowl of Classic Chifferi Rigati is ready
Serve it hot with garlic bread sticks and baked potato wedges. Also don’t forget to wash this delicious platter down with some Coke or Virgin Mojito! 🙂
*The authentic Marinara sauce is picked from the diaries of Italian Nonna
[ Source: http://cookingwithnonna.com/italian-cuisine/category/pasta-sauces.html]
Join my Facebook Food group – From The Diaries of Great Cooks