Come Valentine and every where we can see hearts and roses and splashes of pink, red and white color. To all the food groups, food communities & food blogs which I follow, 90% of them are having lovely contests and activities around Valentine. In fact on my very own Facebook food group From The Diaries Of Great Cooks! – we are having an awesome time celebrating #50ShadesOfValentine contest and I am really overwhelmed with the tremendous efforts people are putting in sharing their best Valentine recipes. 🙂
Being an avid baker and innovation lover, I also marked this occasion of love and trust with my Rose Infused berry Cake which also happens to be my first effort on the icing part… 🙂 Yes, while icing it, I did get goosebumps many a times and still I continued with my all concentration and finally came up with this not-so-beautiful but still lovely Valentine Cake!
This Rose flavored cake is prepared with fresh rose petals, fresh strawberries & cranberries, along with mango jelly. With a filling of freshly made strawberry marmalade in the center, this cake is to die for. 🙂 Crafted out with utmost concentration on flavors and colors, I am glad that it flattered the taste buds of my valentine as well as my friend. 🙂 Let’s have a look on the recipe!
Preparation time: 1 hr
Baking time: 45 mins
Plating time: 20 mins
Specific Equipments used:
- Oven / Microwave for baking
- Icing bags and nozzles
- Whipping blade
- Jelly and Cake Moulds
For the cranberry sponge
- 100 gm Butter (I used Amul unsalted butter)
- 1.5 cups Icing sugar
- 3 Eggs ( Whites & Yolk separated)
- 1.5 cups All Purpose Flour or Maida
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar granules
- 1 tsp Rose flavor extract
- 2 tbsp fresh strawberry juice
For Strawberry marmalade
- Fresh Strawberries 250 gms
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 cup sugar
For the rose flavored strawberry jelly
- Tops Strawberry flavored jelly
- Fresh Rose petals
- Rose flavored extract
- Strawberry marmalade (Home made)
For the mango jelly topped with fresh strawberry cream
- Tops Mango flavored jelly
- Fresh Rose petals
- Strawberry marmalade ( Home made)
- Riches Heavy Cream
- Edible Pink color (Optional)
For Icing & Decorations
- Riches Heavy Cream
- Multi-colored balls
- Silver balls
- Sliced strawberries
- Rose petals
Before starting the cake, let’s prepare the strawberry marmalade and let’s keep the jellies to set.
For strawberry marmalade
Wash and clean all the strawberries. Chop them finely. Now heat a pan and put all the chopped strawberries into it. Let it simmer of medium to low flame for 5 mins. Add sugar and let it simmer for 10 mins. Now added lemon juice. Keep stirring lightly after every 5 mins. After 25 mins, fresh strawberry marmalade will be ready! 🙂
This can be used for 3-4 months, if stored in refrigerator.
For rose flavored strawberry jelly
Follow the directions written on the pack of Tops strawberry jelly. Once done, add strawberry marmalade into it for extra flavors. Take a big beautiful rose petal and put it in the center of the heart shaped mould in which strawberry jelly is resting. Let it set for 45 mins at room temp. Chill it and your heart shaped strawberry jelly is ready! 🙂
For mango flavored jelly
Follow the directions written on the pack of Tops mango jelly. Take small rose petals and put it in the moulds. Now pour mango jelly mixture over it and let it rest. Let it set for 45 mins at room temp. Chill it and your rose infused mango jelly is ready! 🙂
For the cranberry sponge
- Sieve APF, Baking powder and Baking Soda. Sieve for at least 4-5 times.
- Grease your cake tin and cover it well with parchment paper. Also keep the sides covered with brown paper which actually gives it more moistness and saves it from burning.
- Pre-heat your oven at 140 degrees.
- Beat butter and icing sugar together till smooth.
- Add yolks, one at a time and keep beating it lightly.
- Add rose flavored extract.
- Now fold in the dry ingredients and mix it well though slowly.
- Take finely chopped cranberries and mix it lightly in the mixture.
- Now, take egg whites in a separate bowl and start beating it. Beat till soft peaks are formed. Now add powdered sugar granule and keep beating till glossy peaks are formed. Fold it gently into your cake batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake at 140 degrees. In my Microwave convection, it took 1 hr 40 mins to complete bake. After 1 hr, I covered the top with aluminium foil so that it don’t get burnt.
- Do the toothpick test to check the status of the cake.
- Once baked, let it cool down for 15 mins outside the oven. Invert the cake over a wire rack and let it cool for at least 30 mins.
- Cake is ready!
Once cooled, divide the cake into two parts and apply 2 tbsp of fresh strawberry juice all over. This will help in keeping the cake moist.
Now take the Riches cream in a bowl and start whipping it till hard peaks are formed. Once you are in mid of it, add colors if you want. I prefer white color only.
Now apply a layer of strawberry marmalade on top of the second base. Apply a layer of whipped cream over it and arrange sliced strawberries.
Put another layer on top of it. Add layer of whipped cream over the top layer and spread it all around. Let it chill for 20 mins as this will help in setting the creamy base.
Get your piping bag ready with the desired nozzle. Pour in the whipped cream into it and start decorating on the sides and corners. Once done, take out your rose flavored strawberry jelly and put it in center of the cake. Continue decorating on the sides and sprinkle balls accordingly.
Now in the left over whipped cream, add strawberry marmalade and a dash of pink color. Whip it for 2-3 mins so that everything is mixed properly. Put it in the icing bag and decorate the top of the mango jelly with these delicious strawberry icing.
Now to serve it, place it over a stand. Arrange strawberry creamed mango jelly on the sides along with some fresh strawberries.
Your Rose infused Berry cake is ready! 🙂 With the beautiful rose petal on the center of the jelly, it is a perfect gift on a Valentines’ day! 🙂
Wish you all a lovely Valentine day and may you guys spend your best moments together!
Do share your feedback on the recipe here.
For more fun filled discussions about cuisines and food all over let’s connect on my Facebook group – https://www.facebook.com/groups/FromTheDiariesOfGreatCooks/