Experimenting with food or ingredients is a tradition in my family and I am also following it religiously since the beginning. I don’t remember any instance when we had same food for two consecutive days. It’s a big NO! But yes, the best part was, Mom never wasted any food and same habit is inhibited by me.
We always believed in left over recipes and this made us experiment more and more with various delightful snacks. Along with left over recipes I am also very fond of making healthy junkies ( that I say) . For me, the healthiest food is traditional Indian style Lentils ( Dal ) and Rice. But yes, as usual, it is also one of the most boring food if consumed daily. Errrrr..No! Here I would like to thank my Mom for introducing me to some brilliant recipes of these staple ingredients. One of them is ‘Moong Dal Dosa’ (Lentil Pancakes).
Prepared with the modest lentil ( Moong ki daal) and served with a cottage cheese ( paneer ) filling along with spicy dips and chutneys, this dosa is one of the healthiest food we can have.
- For Moong Dal Dosa, the best accompaniments are cottage cheese filling, curd and mint dip or chutney. But you can pair it up with any sides of your choice.
- For making crisp dosas, make sure that the lentils are properly soaked and grinded. Minimum amount of oil is always advisable.
MOONG DAL DOSAS
Preparation time: 4 hours + 10 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
Serves : 8 Dosas
- Moong Dal – 2 cups
- Water – 6 cups
- Semolina ( Suji ) – 1 cup
- Gramflour (Besan ) – 1/2 cup
- Garlic – 6 cloves
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Green chillies – 2
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – According to taste
- Soak Moong Dal for 4 hours in 5 cups of water. Drain the water post that.
- After that mix all the ingredients (except semolina and gramflour) and add 1 cup of water into it.
- Grind it into a fine paste. (Texture should be smooth enough)
- Once done, add semolina and gramflour and mix it well.
- Mixture is ready.
- Now heat a non stick pan and prepare hot crisp Dosas one by one. Use minimum oil and cook it evenly on both the sides.
Now let’s move to the recipe of the famous accompaniment i.e. Cottage Cheese Mixture.
COTTAGE CHEESE FILLING
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Serves : 4
- Cottage cheese mashed – 3 cups
- Peas boiled – 1 cup
- Green capsicum – 1 medium sized diced
- Onions – 1 medium sized diced
- Tomatoes – 1 medium sized diced
- Ginger – 1 tsp grated
- Lemon – 1
- Pepper – 1 tsp
- Mix spices (Garam Masala) – 2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Fresh green coriander – 1/2 cup chopped
- Heat pan and fry onions in oil. Put ginger and peas and saute for 1 min.
- Add capsicum, tomatoes and cottage cheese. Mix well.
- Let it simmer for 5 mins.
- Add spices and salt.
- Sprinkle green coriander.
- Cottage cheese mixture is ready.
Serve the hot crisp dosas along with this mixture accompanied by various sauces and dips. Win laurels for your healthy cooking! 🙂