Fresh and beautiful fruits are my weakness since the childhood. I remember all the fun we use to have during our summer vacations. My father has a big bungalow with a large sprawling garden at Allahabad – My home town. (They stay there only while I am shifted to Gurgaon post marriage. ) Come summers, and we use to have all the doll games in the garden under the huge guava tree. We had tents, bedding, dolls, kitchen sets everything. I along with my siblings used to spend a good quality time there itself in the garden under the shadow of pomegranate tree, guava tree, orange tree and Ashoka tree. Life was happy and fun was the only thing we knew.
One of the another lovely part of the summer vacations was when we use to go out on a week’s trip to any of good hill stations. The best part of the trip was to enjoy the serene beauty and hand pick fresh berries and other fruits just to savor the long lasting delectable taste. That habit of mine always bring me close to nature. Till date, I use to handpick fresh fruits whenever I get a chance. 🙂 And this time I got some of the finest cherries of the season. The smooth texture and juicy lip smacking taste activated my baker hormones and I ended up preparing a super moist and flavorful cherry cake with a dash of green apple flavor. 🙂 Let’s bake it together.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Baking time: 10 mins + 50 mins
All purpose flour – 1 cup
Cherries – 1 cup ( Pitted and Halved)
Baking powder – 2tsp
Salt – a pinch
Powdered sugar – 1 cup
Granulated brown sugar – 2tbsp
Lemon zest – 1 tbsp
Green Apple Essence – 1tbsp
Green apple slices – 8 – 10
Eggs – 2
Oil – 1/2 cup
Butter Milk – 1/4 cup
- Grease and dust a 6″ round cake tin. Preheat oven at 180 degrees C
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- Beat oil and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one by one and beat at low.
- Add green apple essence and mix well.
- Add half the flour mix by sprinkling over wet ingredients.Add half the butter milk. Mix well.
- Add remaining flour mix and butter milk and mix just until combined.
- Pour half the batter into the tin. Arrange Green apple slices. Pour remaining half and arrange cherries on top. You can also mix cherries in the batter. This will give the cake a beautiful color.
- Bake at 180 degrees C for 10 mins.Further bake for 50 mins at 150 degrees.
- Once the time is up, do the toothpick test. If it passes it, let it cool down for a while and serve with hot cuppa and enjoy the fruitilicious weather!
Recipe courtesy: bakewithshivesh.blogspot.com
Note: Insert a toothpick and it should come out clean. Let the cake cool for 10 – 20 mins before taking out of the tin.