Come monsoons and heart craves for some yummiest treats. Apart from thousands of Indian dishes, PaoBhaji holds a special place in my heart…Not only because of its relishing flavors but also due to the ease with which it can be prepared. When cooked appropriately, Paobhaji can be one of the healthiest snack options cooked at home.
Fresh vegetables along with ground spices are the major ingredients. And the flavor of Garlic gives it an aromatic heavenly taste.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
4 cups Farm fresh diced mix vegetables ( Cauliflower , Potatoes, Carrots, French Beans, Bottle Guard)
1/2 cup Green Capsicums – Sliced
2 big onions – Chopped
5 big tomatoes – Pureed
1/2 inch Ginger piece
6-8 Garlic cloves
2 green chillies
3 tbsp PaoBhaji Masala
1 tbsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
Salt – According to taste
50 gms Butter
1 tbsp Freshly chopped coriander leaves
- Boil all the vegetables in a pressure cooker. Let 2-3 whistles come.Once boiled, strain them out. Do save the water aka vegetable stock in another bowl.
- In a pan warm half the butter.
- Fry onions till brown. Add ginger and garlic together in it.
- Sprinkle a dash of turmeric & salt. Cook well.
- Add tomato puree. Put all the spices and fry till fat gets separated.
- Add more butter if required.
- Add half the vegetable stock and let it simmer for 15 mins.
- Now grind the boiled vegetables lightly with the help of potato masher.
- Add vegetables in the Masala mixture. Fry for 5 mins.
- Add rest of the vegetable stock and pressure cook. Let 2-3 whistle come.
- Now open the lid. Add salt and turmeric. Mix it well.
- Check the consistency of the bhaji. If it is thick add more water. Bhaji should be of right consistency and bit liquid.
- Grate fresh ginger and garlic over it.
- Take out in a bowl, pour a dollop of butter and enjoy with butter laded pao aka buns.
Nothing can match the taste and aroma of this authentic Mumbaiya street food!