The aroma of freshly baked bread right out of the oven is unbeatable. Whether its a simple plain white bread, a healthy whole wheat bread or a focaccia…That soft spongy layers with crisp outer crust makes it simply irresistible….
Every time when I feel too lazy to cook anything, my first bet goes to a healthy focaccia bread followed by a hot mug of coffee. This aromatic bread topped with the favorite veggies, olives and cheese, garnished by mixed herbs and baked till perfection takes me to a delightful culinary journey.
Preparation time: 1.5 hr
Cooking time: 30 mins
For bread dough
- All purpose flour- 1.5 Cup
- Instant Yeast- 1/2 tsp ( I use Bluebird or Topsal brand)
- Sugar- 1/2 tsp
- Baking powder- A pinch
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper – 1 tsp
- Mixed herbs – 2 tsp
Any toppings of your choice can be used. I prefer —
- 1 cup sliced olives
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced onions
- Mozzarella Cheese
Warm water slightly. ( 15 secs in MW) Mix sugar in it. Sprinkle Yeast. Mix it slightly. Cover it and put it in warm place for 15 mins. Once the yeast is proved ( i.e. mixture becomes frothy) mix it in flour (along with baking powder, salt, pepper and herbs)) and knead a dough. Knead it for at least 10 mins. Brush it with olive oil and keep it in warm place for at least 45 mins. Dough will rise to double its size. Now knead it lightly once more and keep it away for 10 more minutes. Dough is ready.
Keep the oven in a Preheat mode at 180 degrees.
- Grease olive oil in a round tin of 6″ inches. Dust it with flour.
- Arrange the dough over it and brush it with olive oil.
- Make 8-10 finger impressions on the dough.
- Arrange the toppings over it.
- Put it in the oven and bake for 8 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Take it out for a minute.Now gently cover it with Mozzarella Cheese.
- Put it back in the oven and bake for 10 more minutes.The aromatic, delicious and heavenly focaccia bread is ready!Serve it with butter or eat it as it is, it is surely going to take your gastronomical desires to next level.
Bon Appétit! 🙂